Monday, June 9, 2014

Film on the Rocks: Caddyshack

Wonky faces

There is so much to do here in CO during the summer that it's impossible to fit it all in...especially if you're like me and stuck in a cube 40 hours a week. *Sigh* so depressing. But, if you find yourself free of your box and don't know what to do on a summer Tuesday night may I suggest taking in a film at the most amazing venue in the US of A! That's right folks, I'm talking about Film on the Rocks put on by the Denver Film Society at Red Rocks Amphitheatre. My first Red Rocks film of the summer was Caddyshack! I had never seen it before and my boyfriend loves it. Though it was incredibly...er... silly I'm glad to add it to the watched list. Cult classics are funny that way; I love The Lost Boys and had a friend watch it (who is also in to Vampires mmmk) and she thought it was the most ridiculous movie she had ever seen...and that is kind of how I feel about Caddyshack. It may be if you don't see these sort of movies as a kid their greatness is lost on you, but I'm glad I saw it nonetheless.

Live music and a local comic before the show, pretty sweet.


This was my boyfriend's first event at Red Rocks (be nice, he's only been here two years...) and after one night of seeing Denver's night sky in between two glorious slabs of rock he's hooked.


Does everyone have this photo?


I'm pretty sure there isn't a bad seat in the house. Last summer I saw Rocky Horror Picture Show (does anyone else catch themselves calling it the Rocky Mountain Picture Show or is that just me?) and we were way up at the top and still had a blast. In fact, we had a great view of thousands of toilet paper rolls flying through the air "Great Scott!"... If you haven't seen Rocky Horror Picture Show it's okay to be confused here. This year however, we arrived at 7 (film starts at dusk, around 8) and were able to sit in row 26. These seats were perfect! And if you're worried about sound quality don't be. In fact, if you have sensitive ears you may want to bring ear plugs because the sound is pretty awesome.

...and this one?
Here's the lineup for this year:

June 3rd - CADDYSHACK with Ark Life and Covenhoven 
June 10th - FIGHT CLUB with Flashbulb Fires and FaceMan
June 16th - LABYRINTH with Grizfolk and Total Ghost 
June 24th - THIS IS SPINAL TAP with School of Rock 
July 1st - THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS with The Yawpers and Native Daughters
July 8th - THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE with Boy & Bear and Inner Oceans 
July 29th - PITCH PERFECT with The Messers and Tracksuit Wedding 
August 25th - WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT with Chimney Choir and Jesse Manley 
September 2nd - THE BIG LEBOWSKI with The Congress and Tyler Lee Holter 


I personally like to see the older, classic films at Film on the Rocks so I'm thinking my next visit won't come until August for Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Heck, even us girls thought Jessica Rabbit was the hottest. If you haven't seen the Big Lebowski in a group/party setting I would also recommend that one. Let the White Russian's flow...though they might only be selling beer. Lame. 

If you want to sneak in your own White Russian's it might be a little trickier than it used to be. Here's a link of what you can/can't bring into the Amphitheatre for events. I was super awesome and read this before I went. I even stuck our Chipotle burritos in a gallon plastic bag! Sadly, this wasn't even good enough as I was advised next time to wrap the burritos in clear cellophane. I'm blaming the legalization of marijuana on this one. For all they know that's a giant joint burrito!



One more piece of advice...BUY AHEAD OF TIME. This event does sell out! Get the tickets online or at your local King Soopers, they are the same price no matter how you get them. $14.50 (listed price includes fees) a pop.



Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment